Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Whenever I choose a new piece of equipment, I usually do that based on how much my choice will improve my images.

I usually say that my car is my most expensive piece of kit and whenever this comes to my mind, it brings along the idea that "someone passionate about the outdoors and everything around them should not drive a big and fuel hungry 4x4"...

Before having a 4x4 I had the romantic idea that I could drive to the middle of nothing, hop off the car and create fantastic images out of the blue... This image is actually the only one that jumped in front of me while driving off-road. Actually it would be more correct to say that it jumped behind me, because I first saw it in the rear view mirror when returning back home from an unproductive morning.

I stopped the car and
placed my Bronica SQA with the 50mm lens in the tripod really close to the ground and took some time working on the composition as I had to shoot through a fence and none of the wholes seamed to provide a decent perspective. When I finally got what I wanted, the sun was covered by a cloud...

When I first started with infrared I had the idea that sunlit scenes would work better, nowadays I know that overcast days are equally good and sometimes preferable... That day I sat on the ground in silence and waited for half an hour for the sun to come up again and shot two frames with Maco IR820c through a B+W 092 filter at ISO 6 and 3, the frame shot at ISO 6 is quite thin, but actually scans better than the other...

With time I came to understand that off road driving detracts my attention from possible images, it almost feels like going from photographer mode into pilot mode... Most times only some time after stopping the car and hearing silence for a while I can feel I'm back into my photography pace... I won't sell my car due to this, I'm human and not 100% coherent... I still use it in order to get to places faster than I would if I was walking... I just don't drive around looking for images anymore...

No comments: